Monday, November 29, 2010

10 Things I learned while being unemployed...

Hello my faithful readers!  Yes all two of you!  (According to my stats, I have a reader in Australia.  Is that true?) So, it has now been over a month since I left my craptastic job, and it has been quite a learning experience.  A very hard, shitty, learning experience.  On to the list:


---
10.  Soap Opera characters give their children THE WORST names.   I mean why on earth do the writers give the characters such awful names? Names like Starla, Babette, Dodo (OK, to my knowledge, no one has been named Dodo on a soap) Do people really name their kids this? (I mean real people. Not celebrities)  Whatever happen to nice names like Sophia, Brittany, or Christopher? Names us common folk can relate to.

 
9.  There are some HR people (this goes for casting directors and agents as well) on the mindset "this is New York. New Yorkers are tough.  I'm gonna be tough on you for no reason at all because this is a hard city."  I get it, New York is a jungle.  Only those of us who have been here for awhile see it for what it is.  Not the Gossip Girl/Sex and the City place you see on TV.   (It's much more like Law & Order: SVU.)  If I don't have a period in my resume where one needs to be and it pisses you off to no end, either don't call me in for an interview, tell me when you schedule me for the interview, or just point it out when I'm there.  Please do not BARK at me. Yes, I should have caught it before hand. However, do people have to be so fucking aggravating and harsh?  I DON'T THINK SO!!!!  But they feel like they must so that's that.



8. Proofread your resume. Multiple times.



7.  Starbucks is awesome!  OK, so I knew the coffee was great, but the actual experience can be fantastic as well. I needed a place to write and do some work before an appointment.   I decided to go to Starbucks for a few hours.  I bought a coffee and stayed there for about 6 hours.  Did they ask me to leave? Hell no.  On the contrary, they gave me samples of two of their newest Holiday creations. Which I thoroughly enjoyed. Plus the music there is kind of good. I downloaded 2 of the songs I heard while I was there ( a Josh Groban song and a Patsy Cline one).  Also, the people watching was great.  It was really heartwarming to see Starbucks employees treating every person in a friendly manner. From the fashionistas to the homeless.   Yay Starbucks!



6.  Having  a large amount of free time makes you think about stupid shit that happened in the past. I am so bored out of my mind at home;  I keep replaying my summer breakup.  Could the relationship have ended differently?  Probably not. I keep thinking about it because I am busy with nothing.  I also think about stupid things that happened in high school and college.  "If I would have done this, I could have more successful right now."  Who knows?  But I totally hate thinking about things that are out of my control.



5.  I am unemployed.  I live with my parents.  I have no car.  Many people would qualify me as a loser (at least on paper).  Being a loser, you really find out who your friends are.  There are certain  "friends"  who laughed and spent time with me when I was successful.   However, now that I'm a loser, they think it's contagious and don't want my loser sickness to spread to them.  So they'll be really busy, you know, until I eventually become successful again.  Anyway,  I found out I had a few of these " friends" in my life.  I also realized I have genuine friends as well.   When you tell a good friend you're a loser, they will either say "No, you're not," or "Yes, you are."  But they will always support you and never abandon you.  In the end, being a loser (on paper) helped me weed out unnecessary people in my life.


4.  I am constantly amazed at how many things go wrong during the 12pm news.  It's like they know most people are working, or putting up with their children and they just don't care.  Words on the screen are spelled wrong, (right, and I get a riot act for a fucking period on my resume) anchors are caught off guard, and the meteorologist says random inappropriate things in the background. My God, I should get a job doing the news at noon!



3. It's real easy to get fat.  Boredom=eating=getting fat.  Enough said.


2.  The world seems to have moved 5 years in the future, while I was only at my job for a little over a year.  MS Office 2007 is absolutely nothing like the MS Office of yesteryear.  I am completely lost when I'm doing an application and I feel rather dumb.  I have to remember that when I'm at any job I need keep up with what's going on around me in case I get fired and/or laid off.


1.  Being unemployed means I get to sleep late. Yeah bitches, I sleep till noon (then I watch the news.) Although, I have been through a lot, sleeping late is effing priceless.  You people may have a nice paycheck, but I'm sleeping when you poor slobs have to wake up at 7 am or earlier so THERE!  Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment